[TowerTalk] Adding 160 to an 80M dipole?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Dec 16 21:15:09 EST 2014

On Tue,12/16/2014 5:16 PM, Larry Banks wrote:
> The ARRL 160 contest got me interested in 160.  I would like to add loading coils and additional wire to my 80M dipole at my QTH in Maine to see how that might fly.  (It would make it an 80/160 dipole.)

Larry,

Horizontal antennas are not very effective on 160M because it's usually
not practical to get them high enough to not be a cloud-warmer. I had an
160/80 dipole up about 120 ft between a couple of redwood trees, and I
also had an 86 ft Tee vertical for 160. The Tee vertical nearly always
beat the dipole, often by a lot.

Here are the slides for a talk I've done to several ham clubs and at
Pacificon a few years ago. It may give you some ideas.

http://k9yc.com/160MPacificon.pdf

73, Jim K9YC