[TowerTalk] : Nube rebar question

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mymts.net
Wed Dec 17 11:49:24 EST 2014

The roof mounting plate, as described, seems to solve a few issues relative
to embedding tower sections or base tubes in concrete ‹ helps prevent water
intrusion into the base, permits re-use of base for other towers, etc. ‹ but
leaves one issue unresolved. At least, it does if I'm reading the
description correctly.

The OP mentioned he uses threaded rod to keep the base from twisting, but
wouldn't you WANT some twisting at the base? Isn't that the rationale behind
using a pier pin instead of any kind of fixed base? In other words,
torsional forces reaching the base of the tower result in nothing more than
slight rotation around the pin rather than becoming a source of fatigue
failure in the legs?

Did I miss something in 20 years of towertalking?

73, kelly
ve4xt