[TowerTalk] HF Winch

Wilson Lamb infomet at embarqmail.com
Mon Feb 3 10:57:52 EST 2014

WOW, I'm all for DIY, but there has to be some knowledge involved!
The tension needed in your case will be much more than the weight of the tower.  Be sure the tower is rated for the raising tension.  Maybe it has a reinforced lift point?
I don't think you should even talk about this without providing a drawing of the setup, so reasonable calculations can be made, if someone wants to help you.
Be sure the drawing shows the arrangement of the lifting mast, its guywires, and the winch attachment point.
Unless you plan a lot of tilting, a car battery is your best bet for a power supply.  It doesn't even have to be a new one.  You could even rig cables from you car.
There's a Utube video of someone raising one of those towers with a car for pulling.
It's silly to risk damaging a good tower with heresay engineering!
Wilson
W4BOH