[TowerTalk] Fan Dipole off of a G5RV

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Feb 22 01:13:21 EST 2014

On 2/21/2014 8:41 PM, John Geiger wrote:
>   SHould this work ok? What would the pattern be for a 10 meter
> dipole with that feedline arrangement?

The G5RV and its bastard cousins are lousy HF antennas. By contrast, fan
dipoles are very good antennas, are easy to build, are efficient, and
have predictable patterns.

One of the keys to good performance is to put no more than three bands
in your fan.  20/15/10 works really well. So does 80/40, or even loaded
(shortened by loading coils) 80 M and 40M, which also works on 30M. My
website has several articles that talk about how to build them (and a
lot more). See the pieces about antennas for limited space.

http://k9yc.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC