[TowerTalk] Phillystran Cable Question

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Feb 26 00:49:49 EST 2014

On 2/25/2014 10:15 PM, Cqtestk4xs at aol.com wrote:
> I had a chance to pick up some of the old style Philly without ends.   This
> stuff needs to have "potted" ends.  Plan on spending at least $35 for  each
> "empty" end and at least $70 for the resin potting compound.  You will
> find the cost is prohibitive unless you are pouring a dozen or so ends, since
> the potting mix has to mixed all at once.

With out ends?  All the Phillystran I have which is all the guys, use
only a plastic cap, RTVd in place.  14 years and no problems. For the
smaller stuff (less than 1/4" use the cable clamps with the "U" bolt on
the dead side. Do not over tighten. Typical is 4 cable clamps and 1 end
cap  Because it's the jacket that compresses, not much strength is lost
compared to cable clamps on wire.  For anything other than small loads,
I'd use 1/4" and larger with big grips and cap the ends by RTVing the
caps. Don't forget to use the proper size thimble and guy brackets.
Don't just wrap it around a tower leg.  The guy bracket removes the side
stress from the tower legs.

I've not seen any, including the older phillystran that couldn't be used
with big grips and capping the ends. Big grips should be installed with
the Phillystran under working tension. IE 1/4" at 440# and 5/16ths at 600#

Kevlar does not stand up well to moisture, so if the cable is old and
the ends were not capped, I'd cut at least several feet off each end.
Hopefully it hasn't been stored outside and uncapped. In that case you
might need to cut back quite a bit and I don't know how to tell.  The
Kevlar core is made up of many very fine strands. If they are still
flexible and strong, I'd think they are good.

On the 45G the bottom two tier I use HTPG40001 ant the top tier is
HTPG67001.  Texas towers has end caps for all sizes and I'd assume Davis
does as well.

73

Roger (K8RI)