[TowerTalk] Tower Foundation (was Concrete Prices)

Marsh Stewart marsh at ka5m.net
Thu Jan 2 12:05:49 EST 2014

I live in NW Louisiana. I'm looking for a concrete contractor to install a
base per specs for a US Tower HDX-555. I need a hole 5' X 5' 7.25', rebar,
about 7 cubic yards of concrete, and 3 anchor bolts in the right place. I
have the anchor bolts and base. (If the layout of my lot, house, and pool
would allow it, I'd put up 60' of Rohn 45G, with 2 sets of guy wires.)

A major consideration is that access to my backyard is 42.5" wide through a
walk gate and between an A/C compressor and a brick wall. If the A/C
compressor were temporally removed the width of access would increase 4" to
46.5" - not wide enough I'm told for even the smallest of back hoes.
Removing a section of fence for better access is not an option.

Almost surely the hole will have to be dug by hand and the excavated dirt
moved by wheelbarrow to the front yard to be scoped up by a front-end
loader.

Bid #1: $6,880 - contractor never showed up. The one time I did run him down
to check with him he wanted to change the specs to a 6' X 6' X 6' hole.
Right or wrong, I'm going to go by US Tower's specs.

Bid #2: $9,000

Do those prices sound reasonable? They sounds high to me, but I have no
reference as to what concrete work should cost.

73,
Marsh, KA5M