[TowerTalk] New Fair-Rite Clamp-On -- BAD NEWS

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Thu Jan 9 15:12:28 EST 2014

>From whom were they ordered?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Brown
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2014 1:39 PM
To: 'TopBand' ; towertalk at contesting.com ; Reflector Elecraft
Subject: [TowerTalk] New Fair-Rite Clamp-On -- BAD NEWS

Several months ago, I put together a large group purchase of Fair-Rite
cores, including the new part number 2631181381. which the catalog lists
as a "Round Cable Snap-It" with an i.d. of 1.4-in, an o.d. of 2.4-in,
and 2.5-in long. We were quoted $9.30 for 420 pieces, which is less than
half the cost of the five #31 toroids that would be electrically
equivalent. Ward, N0AX, saw my announcement on an email reflector and
noted it in his Contest Update.

Turns out that the new part was too good to true.  My delivery arrived
last night, and it's not what's listed in two respects. First, there's
no clamping assembly. Second, a box that is labeled as containing 30
pieces contains 30 HALF cylinders, two of which are required to make a
choke, and they must be held in place by tape or ty-wraps. I'm returning
the entire shipment for credit.

Please copy this email to other ham reflectors to which you have access,
so that any others who may have ordered these parts that they are NOT as
listed in the catalog, and NOT generally useful to us.

73, Jim K9YC