[TowerTalk] DC multi outlets

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 11 19:08:17 EST 2014

On 1/11/14 2:35 PM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
> Hello
>

> I need to buy a power strip, multi outlet, to connect all thing I have in my
> towers that need some voltage.
>

> I actually use this one
> http://www.vectronics.com/Product.php?productid=VEC-316 but is hard to do
> connections with fat fingers on it.

I use a variety of Anderson PowerPole based distribution schemes.  The
basic connector is available in a whole lot of different current ratings.

West Mountain Radio makes a variety of fused and unfused distribution
panels. Rigrunner 4005, etc.

PowerWerx.com has been a good vendor for me
http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-power-distribution/
I get my West Mountain stuff from them (as well as the connectors)..

A crimper for the inserts is nice, but not essential.  For field work, I
improvise with a pair of pliers, and then solder. Yes, I know that
soldering connectors designed to be crimped is a bad idea: but using a
non-standard crimper isn't ideal either.

I will say, though, once you have a crimper, you'll wonder why you ever
fooled with anything else:  If you don't crimp them perfectly (i.e. they
squash out a bit) then it's hard to get the insert into the housing, so
you wind up doing multiple squeezes with the pliers, etc.)

If you want to use binding post/banana plugs..  Get the dual plugs, that
makes life a lot easier.  We use hundreds of them at work for
breadboards, and typically we put a diode (1n540x) reverse biased across
them so that if you plug it in backwards, your exotic microwave circuit
doesn't vanish in a puff of smoke.

THere are two flavors of banana plugs: solder and screw connectors..
They're both ok, but a bit of loctite on the screw is a good idea.
Solder is better, but I find them hard to assemble properly.  The techs
at work, though, don't seem to have any problem.

There's a fair number of other companies that make them as well.  You
can get ones with 19" rack mount ears (very convenient for repeaters
where everything is in a rack).