[TowerTalk] Mixing Rohn 20G and 25G

Linux Mercedes linuxmercedes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 21:24:27 EDT 2014

Wayne,

I'll primarily be using it for wireless internet. Unfortunately, the
tech at the WISP I spoke to was pretty vague about the wind load of the
antenna they'll be using, but he assured me it would be 'minimal' and
didn't think it would be that big of a concern.

I won't be house bracketing this install, but it will be guyed at two
levels (what Rohn recommends for 50' of 25G).

--Nathan

On 07/01/2014 09:59 AM, Wayne Kline wrote:
> I also have experience with 20-G and 25-G towers... @ my station my 2mter/450 MHZ  and one 6 meter beam
>   5 element 14' boom  are on at 36ft. an consist of  3 sections of 20-G and a top of 25-G  AG3 ?   it's house bracketed @ 18 ft.
> Been in place for 24 years  BUT  extremely light wind load.
>
> IMHO  @ HF  a C-3. TA33  or A3 would be the BIGGEST  .
>
> So my question to you is WHAT are you planning to adorn the tower with ?
>
> Wayne W3EA   . .
>

>> Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 07:42:14 -0500
>> From: kkbroadcastengineering at gmail.com
>> CC: towertalk at contesting.com
>> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mixing Rohn 20G and 25G
>>
>> Nathan,
>>
>> I would caution you to not mix the sections nor even use the 20 for
>> anything more than VERY light duty use.
>>
>> With that said...  Back in my younger days when I did a lot of tower work
>> for CB and Ham operators, there were a number of mixed 20/25 towers
>> supporting large CB antennas and they stayed up many years.  I do recall
>> working on one where the 20 top section physically broke during a wind
>> storm.
>>
>> Climbing a mixed 20/25 tower is a real pain as the steps are different
>> distances apart.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
>> AM Ground Systems Company  -  WD4RAT
>> kkidd at kkbc.com  --  866-22-RADIO -- 866-227-2346
>> www.amgroundsystems.com
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Linux Mercedes <linuxmercedes at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Whilst moving tower sections from the shed to the shop so I could clean
>>> them up and make a couple of fixes before putting up my tower, I noticed
>>> that some of them seemed lighter than others. Turns out I've got a mix of
>>> 20G and 25G sections.
>>>
>>> What are your thoughts on putting up, say, 30 or 40 feet of 25G and then
>>> another 20 or 10 feet of 20G? I'd like to use the best sections I have on
>>> the tower, but if mixing is a no, then I'll fix up some of the other
>>> sections I have and build a homogeneous tower.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Nathan