[TowerTalk] T2X Tail Twister rotator freezes in place below 32 degrees ?

Jon Pearl - W4ABC jonpearl at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jul 21 23:44:42 EDT 2014

Hi Dick,

As a follow-on to what you've said... not only will the bearings most
likely be rusted and pitted, but the upper and lower races will probably
be galled beyond use if the races are constructed in a fashion similar
to the rest of the Hy-Gain bell type rotator line.

Because the steel ball bearings are in intimate contact under load with
the much softer aluminum brake housing & bell casting races - and due to
the fact that the antenna, mast and rotator are continuously rocked back
and forth against the brake wedge in the wind, the bearings tend to wear
a series of short furrows in the aluminum around the entire
circumference where they rock.

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
www.w4abc.com

On 7/21/2014 9:51 PM, Dick wrote:
> In line with Mike's comment concerning the ball bearings; after being in the
> elements for 30 years, you most likely will find the ball bearings in pretty
> bad shape.  A new set is not going to set you back an "arm and a leg"; you
> might well find they need replacing too.  My personal experience in over
> hauling rotors is to remove and replace anything that at all looks like it
> is worn.  You want the rotor to be in tip top shape when you lug it up to
> the top of the tower and re-install it!!
>
> Dick, K8ZTT

---