[TowerTalk] Taking down a tri-ex LM354

John Hudson jd_hudson at comcast.net
Mon Jun 9 11:05:58 EDT 2014

Access to the tower is always a limiting factor, I took down (with lots of
help) a old Tristo 55' crankup down that was in a small backyard with lots
of trees. No access in the back yard and my buddy Mark AA0YY came up with a
plan.. we used a truck in the front yard as a deadman and rope over the roof
of the house but we used rollers at the rook peak to slide the rope. While
it was not the best plan it was the easiest and economical (cheapest). As we
put weight on the rope we were watching all points of contact on the house
for stress and there was none. It took us longer to remove the bolts on the
tilt base then it did to lay it on the ground

Check for a backhoe, telehandler, even a farm tractor with front bucket may
be of use. We have a local company that installs signs and billboards and
they charged $100/hour and they do a lot of the hams work around here. Their
trucks can pull into a drive way and boom over to make a pick

Good luck be safe
John
KO4XJ