[TowerTalk] 10 throu 20 beam traps or no traps

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Fri Jun 20 09:54:44 EDT 2014

If the price of the 4 ele SteppIR is too high.  Think about the 3 ele.
You lose about a DB of gain on 10-20.  You will lose a bit on 6m if that
is important.  The Bi directional mode and nearly instant 180 is very
handy.  The 30=40 option is pretty nice.  I use a 2 ele Cushcraft above
my SteppIR for 40 and I use the 30/40 option for 30m only.  I had plans
to make the SteppIR 2 ele on 30/40 but I doubt I will get around to that
project anytime soon.

You cannot use the SteppIR on multiple bands at the same time and band
changes do take time.  If you are a serious contester and want to use
the  same antenna for SO2R or multiple transmitter contests you might
want to consider other antennas.

If 2 elements will work for you then I would suggest looking at the hex
beams.

Mike W0MU