[TowerTalk] Polyphaser failure mode

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Jun 26 16:34:30 EDT 2014

Hi Rick - actually, the flashover was out at the base of the tower, and
the Polyphaser is in the shack window.  I've had a few of these before,
and they generally leave a little soot-like material on the insulator,
which I think is conductive to a degree.  I suspect they start with
failure of the tape job, leading to moisture infiltration.  Because
there had been lightning last night (no near misses or even visible
cloud-to-ground), I wondered about the Polyphaser, before I started
tracking sdown the failure

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,