[TowerTalk] [RFI] Back of desk grounding buss

Stan Labinsky Jr. K2STN at frontier.com
Thu Mar 20 21:52:20 EDT 2014

To all;

An aluminum grounding plate is not such a bad idea, provided that you deal
with it properly.

First, the simplest is the use of an Internal Tooth Star Washer between the
lug and the strip.  No, not just under the screw head or nut but between the
connecting pieces!  The ones with the teeth pointing towards the screw's
shaft.  When tightened firmly, the washer's teeth will dig into the surfaces
of the joined pieces of metal to a depth, gouging through the oxide layer to
produce a metal-to-metal joint which will exclude the corroding, surrounding
air.

IBM Corp. mandates this technique in all of their safety grounding schemes.
At least in the labs and on the factory floor.

Next would be the techniques used in dealing with the aluminum wiring found
in many seventies vintage homes.  Just simply twisting the conductors
together and wire nutting them is a proven prescription for catastrophic
failure, as in “the house just burned down”.

Reason is that the oxide on the wires acts to insulate them from each other
even while being twisted together.  The steel threads of the wire nut cuts
through the oxide and provides the main current path.  The wire nut heats
and fails.  Google it and see some of the images of burned joints... not
pretty.

The fixes are:

First, a special wire crimping system rented from the Burndy Corp., very
expensive, requires a special tool and technician training, but works very
well.

Next, is the use of a multi-ported sealant filled wiring device which looks
like a three-wide European set-screwed terminal strip.  Cheaper, takes less
training to use and are accepted by the industry.

Last, and the one appropriate to the discussion here is the use of an
Alconox like wiring paste.  But, it needs to be used differently than just
slathering it onto the joint.

You'll need a green Scotchbrite pad which you will impregnate with the
Alconox (BTW, I'm only using that name as a generic for which ever one is
better suited).  Take the now impregnated pad and scour the surfaces to be
joined.  The scrubbing action displaces the oxide, the Alconox covers the
now abraded surface and prevents re-oxidation.  The wires can now be twisted
together and wire-nutted with good result.

This same technique will work well in making lugged connections to your
aluminum grounding strip.

73,

Stan