[TowerTalk] FW: In Shack Tuner Vs. Remote Tuner for Multi-Band Antennas

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat May 3 09:49:51 EDT 2014

On 5/2/14, 11:01 PM, Matt wrote:
> Another simple and effective option is to put the tuner in the shack and
> feed the antenna with ladder line through a balun.
>
> Ma

 From a loss standpoint tuner in shack + high Z ladder line isn't bad
(although you DO need to check and make sure that you're not one of the
weird corner cases).

The philosophical objection I have is that you can't build an effective
choke for the ladder line to prevent it from being a radiator.  With
coax, if you find that the shield is picking up RF current and
re-radiating, you can throw a choke on it to stop that.