[TowerTalk] FW: In Shack Tuner Vs. Remote Tuner for Multi-Band Antennas

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat May 3 10:03:01 EDT 2014

> The philosophical objection I have is that you can't build an effective
> choke for the ladder line to prevent it from being a radiator.

Nor prevent it from being a noise receptor.  Ladder/open feeders can offer
excellent balance on transmit, but on receive, a noise source can arrive
from any angle to the line.  Perpendicular to a perfect line, the noise will
cancel, but off to the side, it wont.  Small changes in geometry affect a
balanced line's ability to cancel noise on receive.

With so many switched noise sources in my home, there's no way I can run
balanced feeders from my shack, through the attic, all the way to the line
exit point on the opposite side of the house.  A balanced line running
through the attic is an antenna for every home noise source.  To cope with
this, the tuner is installed outside the house with coax run between the
tuner and shack.  Then, 600-ohm open feeders route from the tuner to the
antenna feed point.

Paul, W9AC