[TowerTalk] Insurance

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue May 27 05:02:39 EDT 2014

Document, document, document!

This applies particularly to hams and what would be our claims. This
conversation was on here a few months back and I had commented on the
good service I had seen in the past, but we all noted things are changing.

We have an inclosed front porch which has evolved from a deck, to
enclosed porch, to a finished room.  My wife decided that the porch with
a vinyl ceiling and walls should be finished off. This is when we
discovered in a heavy rain you could see the water running down the
walls.  Not good.

When the contractor pulled the ceiling they found wet insulation with
black mold on it and the roof boards.  That exposed the porch roof had
been improperly tied into the house roof which is where the water came
from. (complete porch roof replacement)  We discovered about the bottom
3 feet of roof and the area above, below, and beside the big chimney was
shot. You could fall through. There was water standing on the ceiling
plaster. (lots of black mold)  We had a new roof just 3 years ago.

The Insurance supervisor said they wouldn't pay because there was no
visible damage.  We'll see what they do with photos. Another month or
two and the cost would have been 20 to 40 X

At any rate, it looks like they really are looking for small reasons to
turn down claims, so document everything well.
Take photos of towers, antennas, rigs, and grounding systems with
detailed descriptions and time involved.

73

Roger (K8RI)