[TowerTalk] Terminate braid at top of tower...or not?

James Wolf jbwolf at comcast.net
Sat Nov 1 12:29:22 EDT 2014

Jim,

For lightning, you want to ground the shield both at the top of the tower
and the bottom.  If the tower is taller than say 100' then another ground
1/2 way down. This keeps the tower and the feedline at the same potential
from the top to the ground if/when it takes a strike.  If not, the tower can
arc over to the feedline and destroy it.
Your grounding at the bottom also is a "colder" point than the top, so you
will definitely want to keep that.

You want to put any balun as close to the feedpoint of the antenna as
possible - usually mounted on the boom of the antenna.

Jim - KR9U