[TowerTalk] One off balun question

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Mon Nov 3 15:35:36 EST 2014

I mentioned earlier the importance of the phase information provided by
the VNA - it not only allows the choke R and X to be identified, but it
also eliminates a measurement error in |Z| inherent at lower values.

If we throw away the phase information, and only measure |S21| with that
test arrangement, we cannot distinguish between the infinite number of
choke impedance values that will produce the same |S21| result. So for
example, any of these choke impedance will produce an identical |S21|
indication:

500 + j0      (|Z| = 500)
400 + j325      (|Z| = 515)
300 + j435      (|Z| = 528)
0 + j570      (|Z| = 570)

We have no way of knowing whether the choke is totally resistive or
totally inductive or something in between; and we only know its
impedance lies somewhere in the range 500 Ohms to 570 Ohms.

Steve G3TXQ