[TowerTalk] RTV

Chuck Smallhouse w7cs at theriver.com
Thu Nov 6 21:50:15 EST 2014

The best all around RTV, or when used as for gluing components, is
GOOP.  It's available everywhere, including grocery stores.  It
originally started(over 30 years ago) out as being used for repairing
soles of "Tennis" shoes.  They market it in several different
varieties for various uses.  I can't tell any difference between them
so buy the cheapest variety.  Most all dry clear.

It will be good for RTV for filing the backshells of your rotator
connectors.  It's somewhat flexible and can be quite easily removed
when you want to take something apart.  The residue can be rubbed off
with your fingers afterwards.  I use it also to glue components as
big a sealed relays, and OCXOs, for holding them down onto a chassis,
deadbug style.  It's much stronger than Super Glue.  To glue
something together or down, it's best to apply pressure until its cured/dried.

To increase its shelf life, after opening a tube, it seems to be
better kept in sealed container, like an empty instant coffee jar,
even when its cap is put securely back on.

Chuck,  W7CS