[TowerTalk] RTV

Ian White gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Fri Nov 7 03:56:44 EST 2014

Yet another good alternative is hot melt glue. HMG forms a flexible,
weatherproof seal onto metals, plastics and many other kinds of
materials. In many years of outdoor use, in a notoriously wet climate, I
have never had a single failure with HMG.

Grey translucent HMG is a form of polypropylene, which means it is
chemically inert and also an excellent RF insulator. Anywhere you see
polyethylene (a close chemical relative) you can also use HMG. I have
used it routinely for sealing the exposed ends of coax 'tails' and for
blocking the open ends of semi-airspaced cables - once again, with no
failures at any frequency or power level.

The only precautions about using HMG are temperature-related. Cold metal
surfaces may need some pre-heating to avoid chilling the glue on
contact, which would cause a poor bond; and of course HMG will soften if
the surface becomes too warm. For very warm conditions, I'd go with
Chuck and use a solvent-based "High Strength Clear Adhesive", our local
equivalent of "Goop".

73 from Ian GM3SEK