[TowerTalk] 160 meter antenna thoughts.

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Nov 15 11:20:40 EST 2014

On Sat,11/15/2014 7:35 AM, Bill Turner wrote:
> Inverted Vees work very well. With the apex at about 1/4 wave and
> about 90 degrees between the legs, they are almost perfectly
> omnidirectional.

Horizontal antennas below about a half wave are cloud-warmers. I had one
at 120 ft, and my vertical nearly always beat it, often by a LOT. Stick
with the vertical, with radials or some sort of counterpoise, of course.

I recently did an NEC study of exactly this question for 20, 40, and
80M. 40 and 80M results scale by a factor of 2, and 80M results can be
scaled by a factor of 2 for 160M.

http://k9yc.com/VertOrHorizontal-Slides.pdf

There are some ideas about non-conventional radial systems in

http://k9yc.com/160MPacificon.pdf

73, Jim K9YC