[TowerTalk] 160 meter antenna thoughts.

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Sat Nov 15 18:34:31 EST 2014

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 08:20:40 -0800, Jim wrote:

>Horizontal antennas below about a half wave are cloud-warmers. I had one
>at 120 ft, and my vertical nearly always beat it, often by a LOT.

REPLY:

True if you're working DX, but for local Qs out to a few hundred miles
or so a cloud warmer is what you want. 160 meters nearly always
reflects vertical incidence signals. One of the best bands there is
for that distance.

And if you're serious about DX on 160 don't stop with a vertical. Get
a four square and a Beverage.

73, Bill W6WRT