[TowerTalk] Best Balun

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Nov 27 02:55:04 EST 2014

Sounds like mine, but I had a legal limit transmitter for my first project.

Back in those days (1961) a B&W TV was a monster in weight, size, and
power consumed even with a tiny screen compared to the monitor on this
computer and I can carry it easily with one hand. Many had power
supplies that would easily run a 100 to 200 watts out CW, or SSB and
power a 32S1.  The chassis was 3 to 4 inches tall and as much as 19
inches square of  heavy gauge steel.

I used the power supply as is, which was just about right for a 6AG7
Oscillator, I forget the driver, and a pair og 6L6s as finals.  IIRC I
used a 12AT7 as an electronic TR switch.

So, it too was large, heavy, and ugly but it worked well.  As an aside,
it also taught me that a transmitter is not a place for wire wound
resistors.  Surprisingly my lack of knowledge did not greatly impede
getting it on the air.  Full break in with a novice legal limit
transmitter.  The receiver was an S-40B with a Heathkit Q-multiplier. I
learned how to set it so the Q multiplier would oscillate and regenerate
the CW tone rather than using it as designed.  It took me darn near a
year to make 13 WPM, but I hated being rock bound.

BTW I never have made WAS, but never tried.  I need to print some QSL
cards as I still owe a bunch on 6-meters.

73

Roger (K8RI)