[TowerTalk] Is A Tower Weaker in Some Directions?

Cox, Norman R. nrc at mst.edu
Sat Oct 4 17:41:26 EDT 2014

Dear Group:

    I just joined Tower Talk -- I've read through the last 5 years of archives and have certainly learned a lot I did not know.  What a resource!  I have a question:

    I have just ordered a US Towers HDX-555 tower. At my QTH, I have the option of orienting the base plate in any direction I want to.  My question is:  Are these 3-legged towers weaker (or stronger) in some directions than others?  (I am not a structural engineer.)  The reason I ask is that most of the violent storms that hit here usually come from the same direction.  Will orienting the base plate in a certain direction make it any less vulnerable?

Thanks!
Norm
KE0ZT