[TowerTalk] Apartment Antenna Ideas Needed

Robie Elms ruler55 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 21:47:55 EDT 2014

Dave,

I suggest a 1/2 wave vertical for 10.  One for 20 May be too long, but you could easily do 12, 15 or possibly 17.  You could use a telescoping fiberglass pole and # 14 wire inside.  For matching an L network with the antenna connected to the shunt side. As a counter poise use a 3'X3' piece of hardware cloth (1/4" mesh).

I use a similar arrangement except ground mounted for 20 through 10.  It works very well for me here on the Texas Gulf coast with 100 w.  See KH6MB's QRZ page.  Marty described his set up and the info may still be there!

Issues with this approach - high voltages will be present, you have to figure out how to keep people & pets away!!  RF exposure could be an issue especially if you run 600 w!  Supporting the pole- those poles are light which makes it easier.  This method is single band and requires manual adjustment.

I hope this gives you some ideas!  Let us know what you decide to use.

Robie - AJ4F