[TowerTalk] What Balun for KLM KT-34XA

Bill via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Fri Oct 17 18:13:28 EDT 2014

The Kt34XA uses a 4:1 balun.

Bill K4XS

In a message dated 10/17/2014 10:12:33 P.M. Coordinated Universal Ti,
radioboy at telus.net writes:

Hi  Guys,

You probably don't remember, but quite a number of you helped my  ID this
antenna 10 years ago.and with all the life changes and such, never  did get
around to putting it up.but now, alas, I have 20 glorious acres in  the
country, with no restrictions and I have poured 6 yards of concrete and  am
about to put up a heavy duty 70 freestanding tower..and finally get my  old
KT-34XA in the air.

I have cleaned and NOALOXed all the joints,  checked screws and such per all
of your recommendations from 2003,  assembled it next to the tower and it
looks great, problem now is the  balun. Can't find the one that came with it
and am confused by the manuals  I have acquired. These are manuals from the
old KLM and a few from Mirage.  Most of them state a 4:1 balun is required,
but one has the 4:1 spec  circled and hand written note stating 1:1 is
better
and a t-match ???   Kind if hard to read it but that's what I saw.

So, anyway, what balun  should be using with this fine antenna 1:1, or 4:1?
suppose I could try  both on the ground and test with my MFJ-259, but I only
have a 1:1 right  now. I'll be feeding it all with LMR-600 and N connectors,
but also have  LDF-4 and 5 but it's a pain hauling up 70' of tower :-) and
is
probably  overkill. I will be running either my amp Supply LK-500ZB or
Collins HF-80  system.

Thanks for any info you can  offer.

Paul
VE7KHz