[TowerTalk] What Balun for KLM KT-34XA

Jon Pearl - W4ABC jonpearl at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Oct 18 10:39:37 EDT 2014

Hi Paul,

The documentation has changed with the hardware upgrades over the years
but feeding them all should remain the same. The Specifications area of
the manual that was shipped with my KT-36XA reads: "FEED IMPEDANCE /
CONNECTOR - 50Ω / SO-239."

but...

Below that in Features it reads: "A 3 kW 4:1 balun efficiently matches
the antenna to 50Ω."

Here's a picture of what I believe is still being shipped with the
current iteration of the antenna:
http://www.w4abc.com/kt-36xabalun.html

The Array Solutions AS-200-3 4:1 W2FMI Guanella type balun is a possible
substitute:
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/baluns.htm

Balun Designs offers both dual (4115) and single (4114) core 4:1 baluns:
http://www.balundesigns.com/servlet/the-78/4-cln-1-dual-core-current/Detail
http://www.balundesigns.com/servlet/the-115/4-cln-1-balun%2C-balun%2C-4/Detail

A good group to join for additional help/guidance/documentations is the
KT Antennas group at:

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
www.ffmamostwanted.org

On 10/17/2014 11:03 AM, Paul wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> You probably don't remember, but quite a number of you helped my ID this
> antenna 10 years ago.and with all the life changes and such, never did get
> around to putting it up.but now, alas, I have 20 glorious acres in the
> country, with no restrictions and I have poured 6 yards of concrete and am
> about to put up a heavy duty 70 freestanding tower..and finally get my old
> KT-34XA in the air.
>
> I have cleaned and NOALOXed all the joints, checked screws and such per all
> of your recommendations from 2003, assembled it next to the tower and it
> looks great, problem now is the balun. Can't find the one that came with it
> and am confused by the manuals I have acquired. These are manuals from the
> old KLM and a few from Mirage. Most of them state a 4:1 balun is required,
> but one has the 4:1 spec circled and hand written note stating 1:1 is better
> and a t-match ???  Kind if hard to read it but that's what I saw.
>
> So, anyway, what balun should be using with this fine antenna 1:1, or 4:1? I
> suppose I could try both on the ground and test with my MFJ-259, but I only
> have a 1:1 right now. I'll be feeding it all with LMR-600 and N connectors,
> but also have LDF-4 and 5 but it's a pain hauling up 70' of tower :-) and is
> probably overkill. I will be running either my amp Supply LK-500ZB or
> Collins HF-80 system.
>
> Thanks for any info you can offer.
>
> Paul
> VE7KHz