[TowerTalk] Stacking a 2L 40M and Tribander

Tony Brock-Fisher via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Fri Oct 17 19:23:57 EDT 2014

At moderate heights (70-80') and assuming mechanical concerns are not a factor, I vote for the tribander on top. If you do HFTA for the antennas at around 80 feet, you will find that for usual arrival angles, raising the tribander by ~10 ft improves gain by around 1 db, but lowering the 40 by ~10 feet only degrades it by less than one db. I'll take 1 db on three bands over less than 1 db on one band any day.

And I did! I have had the tribander at 80 feet and the 2 element 40 at 71 feet for 20 years; wouldn't change back.

Tony, K1KP

Sent from my iPad