[TowerTalk] Fwd: Guyed + self supporting /2 ??

Doug Renwick ve5ra at sasktel.net
Sat Oct 18 12:50:52 EDT 2014

I have a hard time, like you, understanding why some folks think guying any
self supporting tower is a bad idea.  Some folks over analyze and over
engineer something that has been successfully done for years.

A tower is stronger in compression than in tension.  The effectiveness of
the guying depends on how the guys are attached to the tower (one leg or an
equalizer bracket), how much tension is placed on the guys, how far the guys
are from the base of the tower, and how many levels of guys are used.

Guying a self supporter is going to allow higher wind loading, whether it is
manufacturer approved or not.  Of course in hurricane winds it is a crap
shoot.

Doug

I wasn't born in Saskatchewan, but I got here as soon as I could.