[TowerTalk] Fwd: 4:1 balun questions KT-34XA

Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Tue Oct 28 14:53:31 EDT 2014

Paul,

As a general rule, when you doubling the core area, which you do when you pile two cores on top of each other, you will need only about 70% of the turn used for the single core to keep the inductance at the same value. In the case of 8 turns I recommend 6 turns (5.6 turns are hard to achieve). The magnetic flux will be reduced by 30% which may lead to a reduction in core losses (if you are close to saturating the core). You will notice a reduction in temperature as you will have a larger cooling area.

As you need fewer turns you could use a larger gauge wire, reducing the resistive losses.

Good luck with your project.

Best 73 de,

Hans - N2JFS