[TowerTalk] Traps and High SWR-troubleshooting problem ?

Don w7wll at arrl.net
Mon Sep 1 14:56:29 EDT 2014

Check the screws between the inside and outside trap tubes. I had the same
problem pop up after a few years on the OR coast, high SWR under higher
power on 15, and high SWR on all bands, particularly when it is raining. I
first suspected the issue was the balun (again, have lost 2) or a trap since
it almost immediately cleared up when the wx cleared and things had a chance
to dry for a day. If it had been coax and water had gotten into a bad
connector covering or the coax itself, it would have taken much much longer
to clear I thought. Nevertheless, the coax is very old and considering the
salt and UV here I am going to replace it. Using a tuner to get everything
to work required a very high inductance setting.

I'm preparing to lay over the HG-HD70 this week and begin repair and and
replacement of the bad parts and baluns (I also have a Cushcraft A3WS above
the TH7DX).

Now, let's discuss MFJ and Hy-Gain support.  I raised the same question you
just posted to MFJ and I got a message from the ham tech who apparently mans
the Hy-Gain/Cushcraft desk.

This is what he said!!!!
"It may be the screw connection between the inner and outer trap tubes.
Remove the screw and inspect the connection point for corrosion or other
problems.

If the swr is over 10:1 it is in the driven element. IF it is around 3-5.1
at resonance, it is either the front (Note - I assume he meant director) or
rear trap (Note - Again I assume he meant reflector).

If you want to look inside the trap, find the dimples down the side of the
trap, take a drill bit the same size, and drill out the dimples. The outer
cover will slide off for inspection inside."
Living on the salt water I have already lost two BN-86's to corrosion where
they swaged the ground side of the contact inside. Leaving the balun open
with the holes around the connector and the weep hole on the bottom is a
disaster waiting to happen.

I happen to have a spare TH7DX from my PDX location which has been setting
on sawhorses. I pulled a couple of traps off, removed the covers and low and
behold, a totally corroded screw and an open on one, and on the second also
a corroded screw. The beam has been down and setting for about 10 years. It
worked perfectly in PDX land.

So, when I get the beam off I am going to go through all of the traps and
fix the screw issue properly (I'm still contemplating the best solution for
here). I'm replacing the HY-Gain balun too. Don't know how the BN-4000 is
built but I suspect it also has an open case allowing for salt air intrusion
or bugs whichever is your environment(few bugs here). Maybe the airwound
balun or the use of the 2.4 in toroids would be better, have never used this
method before.

Both beams performed well inland but are obviously not designed for an
environment like mine (don't use stranded wire anymore either, have tried
all the 'cleaning' remedies and have yet to find one that really works
well).

Just as frustrated as you,

Don W7WLL