[TowerTalk] Modeling a ground plane

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Wed Sep 10 12:39:37 EDT 2014

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:08:58 -0700, Jim Lux wrote:

>so the soil is 2 meters away (or about 1/20th of a wavelength) from the
>radials.  That means that there is a significant effect from the soil
>(it's lossy).

REPLY:

As I said in another post, I also modeled the antenna in free space
and the only thing that changed was the SWR, which does indicate some
ground loss. However - and this is the important point - the effect of
changing the vertical length vs changing the radial length did not
change. A change in the vertical length has a much greater effect on
the resonant frequency than the same change in the radials, whether
close to the ground or in free space.

Your explanation of the cone antenna squashed flat was interesting and
may well be the answer. I'll have to mull that over.

73, Bill W6WRT