[TowerTalk] Joining Boom Tubing

David Robbins k1ttt at verizon.net
Mon Sep 15 11:08:11 EDT 2014

I would go to a place that offers swaging service and deals regularly with aluminum tubing, swaging service is offered by Marmon/Keystone and other tubing suppliers.  alternately use a piece of the next smaller or larger size that has a reasonably tight fit as a splice.  splicing with insert or outside piece also has advantages like:

1. you can control the fit better, too short or poorly sized swaging can leave a sloppy fit

2. no decrease in strength like is possible from the swaging process if done incorrectly.

3. no loss of length, if you want a 24' boom and have 2x12' pieces and swage them together you lose 6" or more.

4. you can add a longer piece to increase the strength past the splice point if needed