[TowerTalk] aluminum tube and pipe

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Sep 17 19:30:38 EDT 2014

On 9/17/2014 1:41 PM, David Robbins wrote:

6 or 7 feet is as long as you'll get via Fed-X and UPS. Longer, goes
motor freight with a hefty minimum charge.
I get 10 or so full length pieces.  Check the types. There are much
better strengths for masts than T-6, prices vary widely.
I had a load of antennas (years ago) come in when I had a business in
Breckenridge.  We loaded the KLM and Wilson antennas onto the pickup at
the depot. Went in to sign.When I got home I was short an antenna.
Somebody got a bunch of expensive Aluminum while I was inside.  Take
some one with you in cases like that.

If you live anywhere near a city, they probably have a number of
suppliers. I use Alroe(sp?)  In Bay City MI.  However the industrial
supply places are unlikely to have many stock sizes that will slip fit
and the finish isn't likely to be a polished finish like the antenna
suppliers use.  I don't know their minimum order for them to get the
discount prices, but if a group wanted to go in, they might get 20 or 30
24' lengths.

That's why the ham suppliers have high prices.  They have a lot of
overhead to stock just to be able to sell the stuff at a price hams will
pay.

DX Engineering will sell longer pieces if you are willing to go the freight.

There's one other limitation.  That stuff comes on long trucks that need
to get to your driveway and out again.   I have to have big stuff, drop
shipped to the local airport where I have to meet the truck.  Oh, yah.
YOU are responsible for unloading what ever and getting it home.  The
trucker is only responsible for getting it there.  Normally they will
not help although I have had them lend a hand when it appeared it might
take one more body with the equipment we had so they wouldn't be late
for their next drop.  Time is money!

With only one side working, I'm pretty well out of getting those big
pieces delivered..

73

Roger (K8RI)