[TowerTalk] safety equipment for climbing (very long but worth reading)

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Fri Sep 26 12:20:52 EDT 2014

Thanks for taking the time to share such a complete narrative of your
good practice.

  I am trying to design the install of 3 towers (one finished, one in
progress and one waiting) so as to not require climbing higher than a 12
ft painter's  ladder.  Ditto my Hy-Gain Hy-Tower which now is rigged
with a removable gin pole with winch to make raising/lowering an easy
one man job.

Way back when in "the olden days" (early 80's) I did some free climbing
and on the job had only a belt with two lanyards supplied. Really stupid
on my employer's part and mine as well.

When ascending sailboat masts I used a bosun's chair (SOP in the sailing
community) but stupidly used no other gear; harness or even belt.  Also
SOP in sailing community.

73
Patrick NJ5G