[TowerTalk] Climbing

RMorris robrk at nidhog.net
Mon Sep 29 14:41:18 EDT 2014

On Sep 29, 2014, at 10:45 AM, Wilson wrote:

> Isn’t this topic about done?
>
> But a new question:  I’ve never climbed much and never used a harness at all, but I have one now and will use it.
> But isn’t the dorsal attachment of the fall arrest lanyard asking for trouble?
> It seems to me that the usual lanyards are too long and that with the dorsal attachment they are very likely to snap tight and slam one’s face into the tower when the big stop occurs at the end of the fall?
> It looks like a ventral attachment would be much less likely to produce secondary pain/injury, especially if one wore a helmet?

Watch a mother cat or dog carry her babies, by the nape of their neck.

If your feet slip off a tower, with lanyard attached in front , while wearing the old style lineman's belt, you fall backwards, bending or breaking your lower back and have great difficultly breathing, after your teeth have contacted the cross brace.

I forget what brand of harness that's  in the garage that came with  shock absorbing lanyards that attached to the "dorsal" D ring.

It is a one time use (fall) that unravels at a moderate speed, with plenty of time to reach out and grab the tower, as you reach the end of the lanyard.

At my last employer's tower climbing school, we were required to make our brains tell us to step off the tower, to test and trust the lanyard.

Buy three.... and extra underwear.  Use two while climbing..... That's what you use to be always attached.

http://www.uline.com/BL_1131/Miller-Shock-Absorbing-Lanyard