[TowerTalk] Climbing

K7LXC--- via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Mon Sep 29 22:09:29 EDT 2014

>  But a new question:  I?ve never climbed much and  never used a harness
at all, but I have one now and will use it.
>   But isn?t the dorsal attachment of the fall arrest lanyard asking for
trouble?

        No. That enables you  to fall in a natural (e.g. fetal) position.
Imagine the stress your back  would take if you were caught in the front.

>  It seems to me that the usual lanyards are too long and that with the
dorsal attachment they are very likely to snap tight

        That's why they make  lanyards that will decelerate you. Yes,
coming to a sudden stop at the end of a  fall is a bad deal. That's why they make
shock absorbing lanyards.

>  and slam one?s face into the tower when the big stop  occurs at the end
of the fall?

        Face? Head? Leg? Arm?  Chest? Take your pick.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
Cell: 206-890-4188