[TowerTalk] Climbing

Rick Scott via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Tue Sep 30 09:50:48 EDT 2014

I used to climb when I was younger.  I have decided after reading all this,that if I ever decided to go full tower and could afford it, it
will be a tiltover :)   Cheers.

Scotty W7PSK

On Monday, September 29, 2014 11:48 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT <K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net> wrote:

On 9/29/2014 11:10 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:

Jim makes some excellence points:

The point to remember is that at best, "Climbing is dangerous". That
many, or most of us have climbed for years without injury does not make
it safe.

Safety gear can not protect a climber from injury from every possible
mistake. The primary goal of fall arrest gear is to save your life
and/or minimize injury, not to completely eliminate injury!

If a climber falls, even wearing the best of available equipment, they
are likely to get injured. "Fall arrest still brings you to an abrupt
stop that is going to hurt even if you don't hit the tower with body
parts., or take a bite out of a cross brace removing a few teeth in the
process. Unlike many with the views of fall arrest, the fall to the end
usually still offers very little time to react. It does slow the fall,
but by how much varies and there may be very little time to react.

Falling backwards can cause serious injury. Depending on the anchor
point and muscle development it might break a climber's back, although
I'd personally think a broken neck would be more likely.

Never, ever think all that gear is going to keep you from getting hurt.
It may, but if it does, that's pure luck. Plan for the worst and hope
for the best.

New climbers! NEVER FORGET "Tower climbing is one of the most dangerous
jobs around. Before you start, you need to be in good physical shape.
Like illness, a body in good physical shape and good health, resists
injury better than an out of shape, unhealthy body and recovers much
faster. Weight training, even toning is a good idea. Moreso for the week
end climber than the guy who spends hours a day "up there". I was riding
bike @ 20 MPH for 10 miles when over 60 and 2 years AFTER having a heart
attack.. Over weight means you should reconsider climbing or at least
use caution.

Never climb alone. Always have a "Go-Fer" on the ground. Preferably one
who can climb. It's tempting to make a short climb, but many unexpected
things can happen. Strokes and heart attacks do not always give
warnings. I've had both and I exercised regularly and tried to watch
what I eat. Turns out I have A-Fib caused by a "slightly" enlarged
Atrial chamber So slight it was not recognized for several years. Two
strokes and a heart attack with no warning symptoms.

After the first stroke my arteries were clean. 3 or 4 years later the
main artery that feeds the heart muscle was over 98% blocked. (They call
that the widow maker) Why the rapid change? Who knows? It turns out I'm
allergic to Statins (anti cholesterol drugs) A reaction to them is
painful and that's putting it mildly.

The point is, no matter how good you feel and how good a shape you are
in, you never know what will happen from moment to moment.

For those getting ready to climb while still young and immortal, resist
the urge and seek instruction.

Like flying, climbing is very unforgiving of mistakes.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Roger (K8RI)

---