[TowerTalk] Climbing

Mike via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Tue Sep 30 17:58:25 EDT 2014

Phew!...I just free climbed my tower,,,

I took a ladder to the roof of my house and grabbed the ladder to my Sky
Needle ,,,free climbed 10 feet to the crows nest and installed a new flag on
the  mast/flag raising setup I have on it between my Pro-67 and 6m
beam...flag looks  cool up at 85 feet with a solar flag light shining on it at night
on my small  city lot...but,,I flip a switch and up the tower goes..

But...that 10 foot fall could kill me just as quick as a 100 foot fall if I
 hit right or bounced...off the roof to the ground...or if I was already
dead on  the way down...

That being said...I have never climbed a 100 foot tower to do work and do
not plan to..(I have to 40' W/out harness)...but I do know when the powers
that  be decided where I work that you need harnessed and tied off at
anything over 6  feet.. ladders ..machinery ..bridge cranes etc. that being tied
off became more  dangerous then not,,,but you can't tell the clowns in the
safety dept. that  because they read somewhere that it was safe...and they are
the ones that have  never been a heels height AGL...tripping over
lanyards...re hooking to places  you can't reach and even climbing up to hook the main
hook while fumbling with  the second...the head safety dolt even bought us
those fall breaking lanyards  for when we work on an arc furnace...that when
they were full out if  falling were longer than the distance to the
floor...definitely a safety  engineer that's totally educated beyond his
intelligence!..

I know Iron workers,,construction workers,,,roofers etc,,,that all curse
the new safety laws in NY when it comes to being tied off.....I believe it
comes  down to personal preference ..and in tower climbing when not employed
by a  company that forces you to be harnessed..and ins. premiums are paid
up...do what  you feel safest doing...not what others tell you to do...I ride
Harleys...and in  NY I wear a helmet because the laws say I have to (they
know whats best for  me)..but when I hit the PA line...off it comes....I have
known of MC deaths here  that were caused by the use of a helmet...you never
hear of those!...

I guess what I am saying...you can all argue here about what is the best
thing to do...but I am gonna do whats best for me..what ever it is...(if
possible)...as "they" say...s**t happens...when its your time to check
out...its  time to go...

On a different note...might anyone be interested in my spare Telrex
rotator?...I bought it as a spare a few years ago for the Sky Needle..I rebuilt
mine with all new bearings..seals etc. and it should last me till I fall off
my  tower...and bounce...so I no longer need the spare...I would rather have
the $$  to put into some upgrades to the shack...pics and price avail. upon
 request.

73,

Mike W2GR

In a message dated 9/30/2014 9:51:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,