[TowerTalk] Modelling SteppIR Elements

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 8 23:54:05 EDT 2015

On 4/8/15 1:42 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

> Another issue is: what size round element is equivalent
> to the copper tape?

In general, you can use a round element with circumference equal to the
width of the tape (or half the width of the tape.. opinions vary).

I just did a bunch of models of a "tape" dipole at work where we were
comparing the results from HFSS (modeling a 1cm wide tape) and NEC2
(modeling it as a tube with radius 1mm.. 0.628 cm circumference) and
they were "pretty close".

The variations from the dielectric properties of the tube will have a
bigger effect.