[TowerTalk] Modelling SteppIR Elements

Joe Giacobello, K2XX k2xx at swva.net
Thu Apr 9 13:09:13 EDT 2015

I went through a rigorous attempt at modeling the four element Steppir
on all its bands several years ago.  My results did not differ
substantially from those who used a less rigorous approach.  I have all
of our results tabulated, if you're interested in the data.  Here's how
I described my approach to the issue of wire diameter and resistivity.
(BTW, W9CF teaches physics or EE at ASU. and you can get to the
equivalent diameter calculator here:
http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/equiv/index.html).

Wire diameter

The Steppir elements are made from a rectangular perforated Cu-Be alloy
tape that is 0.56" wide and 0.018" thick.  The perforations are 0.125"
in diameter and there are five perforations/inch.  If one calculates the
surface area of the tape, accounting for the perforations, and then
calculates the equivalent cylindrical wire diameter, a value of 0.33" is
obtained.  (Based on postings on the Steppir reflector, this is the
diameter that Steppir recommends for modeling purposes.)  However, if
one obtains an equivalent diameter based on self-impedance using W9CF's
on-line calculator, a value of 0.30" is obtained.  Although the
difference between the two calculation methods is not major, I used the
0.30" diameter in my models.  (Since the calculator didn't account for
the perforations in the Steppir tape, I asked W9CF about their effect.
He said that the impact on equivalent wire diameter would be small and
would tend to reduce it.)

Wire resistivity

It appears that the standard Cu-Be alloy used in electronic applications
is hardened 2% beryllium, and I am assuming this is the material used in
the Steppir tape.  The conductivity for this alloy is reported as 22%
ICAS or a resistivity of 4.55 times that of copper (1.74E-8).

The W9CF calculator also provided an equivalent cylindrical diameter for
a rectangular conductor based on resistivity and the result was 0.20".
I asked W9CF why this value differed so much from the equivalent surface
area calculation (0.33") and he explained that for a rectangular
conductor most of the current is confined to the edges.  Since
resistance per unit length is inversely proportional to cross-sectional
area, I accounted for the effect of the resistivity based wire diameter
by multiplying the Cu-Be resistivity by the ratio of the square of the
diameters.  Thus, I used a resistivity of 4.55 X 1.74E-8 X (0.32/0.22) =
1.78E-7.  As you will see, the difference between this calculated value
and the resistivity of copper only reduced gain by about 0.2 dB.

73, Joe
K2XX