[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: antenna choices

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Apr 10 11:56:06 EDT 2015

On Fri,4/10/2015 8:08 AM, Bry Carling wrote:
> It seems like very few antennas are affordable to the average ham.
>
> It seems like they need some competition. With prices in the multiple thousands of dollars for a few aluminum tubes somebody could make lot of money by being less expensive...

When we buy a product, we are paying for design, manufacturing,
marketing, shipping, documentation, and support. None of that is free.

Want to reduce the cost of an antenna? No problem. Pull out the ARRL
Antenna Book, pick a design, order the hardware, and build it. Or get
some version of NEC and design it yourself.

While you're at it, keep track of the number of hours you spend. From
the cost of those overpriced antennas, subtract what you paid for
materials, and divide that number by the number of hours. Chances are it
will be less than what you could make flipping burgers at McDonalds.

73, Jim K9YC