[TowerTalk] Mast froze in cold temps and would not turn

Tim Jellison kl7wv at kl7wv.com
Fri Apr 10 15:10:59 EDT 2015

Tailtwister type rotors (even when new) do not have very much starting
torque.  It's not uncommon for ice in the thrust bearing to cause
rotating failure during cold weather.  I've had good luck solving this
problem by fabricating and installing a rubber boot to keep the water
(and therefor the ice) out to the bearing.  If the bearing has a zerk,
keeping it greased goes a long way towards displacing the water as well.

73,  Tim

Tim Jellison W3YQ/KL7WV
KL7WV Tower Service
304 704 1196