[TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: WD-40

Howard Hoyt hhoyt at mebtel.net
Tue Apr 14 00:07:08 EDT 2015

AB2ZY said:

>> "...I was wondering what  the "magic ingredient" in ATF was that
 >> busted rust..."

The factors contributing to ATF's penetrating and antioxidative
performance is due to the additive package, which makes up up 15% of ATF
by volume.  Consider that in an AT, there are clutches which must not
slip excessively, and yet they are bathed in ATF.  This characteristic
is achieved by a stout surface-tension friction modifier package.  The
anti-oxidative package is designed to keep the many aluminum and steel
parts in close proximity from forming dimetallic corrosion cells.  In
addition there are detergent and anti-wear packages which contains
molecules structured as micelles, one end which is oliophilic and the
other end is hydrophilic.  These molecules have a high affinity for
metal surfaces while remaining suspended in the oil base.

Bottom line: ATF is highly attracted to metal, has corrosion
neutralizers and very low surface tension, and the addition of acetone
as a solvent base to lower the viscosity greatly assists the penetration
of this soup into cracks and crevices.  Once it is there is neutralizes
corrosion to a small extent, but also deposits anti-wear agents which
help coat asperities with a film which assists release of the frictional
interface.

We have seen similar results from small amounts (~5%) ZDDP dissolved in
acetone, but I believe the friction modifier in ATF really boosts the
wetting and performance in this application.

Howie - WA4PSC

--
Howard Hoyt - STLE/SAE/STC
Dir. of Engineering