[TowerTalk] Replacement Thrust Bearing

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Sun Apr 19 12:24:19 EDT 2015

I have a NIB 2 inch ID bearing in a 4 mounting hole pillow block with
grease Zerk.  It is one HD unit rated for way more than needed and cost
about $20.  The box is labeled CJ Bearings and is part number
UCF210-31.  There are only two hams in our ZIP Code and we went together
and bought two.  His is in use and doing fine while mine awaits the
arrival of my repurposed prop pitch motor, SteppIR DB42, and Tash Tower
HD LM354.

The box has this statement printed on a side panel, "Do not open until
ready to use, keep dry and clean."  I will be assessing the
methods/repurposed plumbing components mentioned here as used for
protection against the environmental hazards.  I have a hard time
understanding the rationale behind paying near or over $100 for a
bearing very similar to mine.  Maybe if I framed and displayed a high
dollar sales receipt from DXE or a tower company perhaps that would help
justify the price. ;) ;)

After all, a little frog that has been hand raised, dew picked, and
lightly killed is still just a crunchy little dead frog even if related
processes read like the menu of a high dollar French restaurant.

Patrick   NJ5G