[TowerTalk] Fwd: Near Field Lightning Damage

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Mon Apr 20 09:36:51 EDT 2015

Bill, no problem.  I would have been skeptical as well had I not been
there when the boat came in to be re stocked with electronics. It is
altogether possible that the skipper, navigator, and chief engineer
exaggerated the claims.  Maybe one crewman's wristwatch survived...
Nothing wrong with healthy skepticism.  Even eye witnesses are
frequently unreliable.  This was 35 years ago... I have sent an email to
two friends who worked with me back then. Both are reliable and will
tell me their recollection which could be enlightening and or diverge
from mine.  One is a chief scientist for Leidos and the other is an EE
specializing in antennas, mostly microwave.  Both are hams.

No extraterrestrial beings, no strange lights in the sky, or other
weirdness just fried solid state equipment and the claim that the boat
was not hit by lightning but had a close miss.  Maybe it was hit but
they didn't notice where.  I don't recall if this was a wooden hulled
boat or steel.  Some were conversions from Navy surplus and some purpose
built.  I'd guess a wooden hulled vessel to be more likely to "allow"
the claimed effects.

There are lightening super strokes many times the magnitude of "regular"
lightening.

Patrick   NJ5G