[TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Sun Apr 26 04:26:32 EDT 2015

The 51ft "G5RV" performs well on 40m, 20m and 10m - bands where the
SWR(50) at the ladderline/coax junction is moderate. On other bands the
SWR(50) is high, and how well it performs will depend on the length and
quality of your coax run.

On 40m you will notice little difference compared to a half-wave dipole;
on 20m it has a small amount of broadside gain over a half-wave dipole;
and on 10m the azimuth pattern has broken into 6 major lobes, with best
performance at 45 degrees to the direction of the wire

Using a good CM choke at the coax/ladderline junction is important - it
will reduce radiation from the ladderline section and noise pick up on
the coax run.

Steve G3TXQ