[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: G5RV vs 40M dipole

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 26 12:22:35 EDT 2015

My G5RV at QRO stopped working when the purchased bead choke at the
coax/ladderline junction got so hot it melted the coax.  They need
several thousand ohms of choke impedance, usually not found in most of
the off the shelf bead chokes.

OTOH two 80/40/20 fan dipoles (at right angles) I modeled and built
worked super at 65' high.  They worked on 15m with a tuner (<2.5:1 swr)
and perhaps on 10m if the coax is cut for a match or there is enough
loss.   I separated the ends by 24" using 3/8 sq pvc rod which makes for
mechanical complexity and difficulty winding it up (I use 10" diameter
concrete column forms).  Eznec models are reasonably accurate if you
follow the recommendations on modeling by Cebik, #108-111 at
http://www.antennex.com/w4rnl/

re VE7RF's conjecture that the center of every dipole may not need to be
connected:  Since I had a working EZNEC model, I disconnected the
transmission line connections to the 40 and 20m dipoles and fed only the
80m.  There is coupling but very poor swr; 4:1 on 40m, 10:1 on 20m, 8:1
on 15m, so it's not a good idea.

Grant KZ1W