[TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole

WA8JXM wa8jxm at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 07:34:01 EDT 2015

You say fan dipoles are heavy and difficult to get to behave.   It all
depends.   You are right if done as a true dipole and for all the bands.

I cannot envision a 160/80/60/40/30/20/17/15/12/10m fan dipole although
I do recall Hint & Kinks publishing a 5 band fan dipole using 4 wire
flat rotator cable for the conductors.

However tfan dipoles do well as a 2 or 3 band inverted vee, supported in
the center.  I have a 160 and 80m fan inverted vee on the tower, and 15'
below it, a 40 and 30 m fan inverted vee, which also loads on 15m.   The
30m is suspended from the 40m wire. However, the 160 and 80m vees go to
separate tie points.

I did, at one time have a 5 band fan dipole up in the air.  You are
right, they can be challenging to adjust when you get that many bands
tied together.

But they are good solid performing antennas, simple and inexpensive to
build.

73, Ken WA8JXM